[mythtv-users] uPNP sources wrong IP address

Blammo blammo.doh at gmail.com
Tue Jun 24 18:59:51 UTC 2008

On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 11:30 AM, Michael T. Dean
<mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> On 06/24/2008 02:25 PM, Blammo wrote:
>> Trying to make uPNP work with a Vista desktop.. The MBE shows up as
>> having videos to share, has all the right filenames, media descipt
>> data, etc, but when I actually go to watch one, windows media player
>> says it can't open the URL.
>>
>> Upon examining the URL its' being fed, it's the IP address of the
>> Tuners box (SBE) not the MBE. I've looked at all the uPNP config I can
>> find, and can't see what might be wrong.
>
> That's correct, assuming that the show was recorded by the slave backend.

Why? I would assume if I was browsing the SBE via uPNP I'd get files
from that box. I don't expect the MBE to point me somewhere else, when
the files are stored on the MBE. Can I override that behavior? The SBE
has no horsepower, and is only a tuner box. Not where I want to stream
files.

> You sure you have appropriate CODEC's installed for WMP (i.e. you don't
> get MPEG-2 for free).  If so, perhaps it's another case of MS deciding
> you don't need to UPnP non-MS formats, like with the XBox 360 (which
> supports AVI, WMV, and MPEG-4 part 2 (in MPEG-4 or Quicktime container)
> or MPEG-4 part 10 (in MPEG-4 container)--the latter 2 added only after
> enough 360 users complained).

I can drag the files off the SMB share, and play them back in WMP, so
I think Vista is happy. Good thing to check however.