[mythtv-users] Odd lirc behavior when using plasma display vs. CRT display

Roger Heflin rogerheflin at gmail.com
Tue Jun 24 17:29:07 UTC 2008

Larry K wrote:
>> you might be able to get an IR filter for the tv (that hopefully won't
>> screw up the picture much and be pretty
>> cheap) that would reduce the interference
>

> Can you elaborate more on this filter? Did not see anything with a google
> search, other than IR filters for photography.
>
> Anyone else solved this problem?   I wonder if switching from IR to RF
> remote would help?  Thoughts?

I was just throwing out suggestions, I anything that filters out IR would be the
sort of thing you want, but if they are expensive, and not available that large
it it not an option (the IR filter would need to be across the entire TV
screen).   The issue that I have is not severe enough and only lasts for a
minute or so on startup of the TV.

This issue would not affect a RF remote as that is not something that is going
to be output by the screen, IR is output by lots of different lighting, and if
that lighting looks like a remote signal will mess things up, so the lighting
from the TV looks like a remote for LIRC.

The fix would be to change the LIRC code to reject noise better, in mine the TV
coming on does not appear to affect real remotes and real remote receivers, so
something about LIRC is more bothered by this behavior, or get a remote receiver
that does more internally *might* improve the noise rejection.

You might ask or search on the LIRC list.

                          Roger