[mythtv-users] Processor Minimum Specs

jeremyrainman at yahoo.com jeremyrainman at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 24 16:34:03 UTC 2008

On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 6:18 AM, John Williams <williamsbyron at gmail.com>
wrote:

> ...I have a Toshiba 42 42RV530U. It does 1080p and has 4 HDMI inputs. I'd
> now like to get a system that can record the HD I have and play back to the
> HDMI on the TV.
>
> Obviously I need a HD tuner. It seems like the HDHomerun is the prefered
> method around here....
>
> ...Can you help me out by telling me the best cost CPU that will run a Full
> FE/BE system with all it's demands (transcoding recording 2 channels and
> playback)?
>
> Thanks,
> Byron Williams

Just a rundown on my specs for you.

At home I run on an intel duo-core 2.4 with 4gigs of ram. I have two PCHDTV
HD-5500 cards, and a 400 gig SATA. I run Archlinux X86_64. I know my box can
easily do watching one HD program and recording another HD program at the
same time. I haven't tried doing 2 recordings, and a transcode job, and
playback all at the same time though. The monkey in the wrench for you is,
I'm not entirely sure if I'm running with XvMC. It's kind of embarassing,
but I never checked to make sure. It all ran so well as far as TV goes, that
I just accepted it as is. I actually run the mythfrontend under gnome, with
compiz, believe it or not, and I actually get full-speed desktop
acceleration while watching and recording HD. I suspect I do have XvMC
working, but I never verified this fact. I don't think it's required for
compiz or any of the other packages I have installed, but I could easily be
wrong.

I have had a number of people call me crazy for my insane specs on a
mythbox. But I wanted this thing to be an end-all, I wanted it to run games,
tv, video, music, photo albums, etc.. everything, even at once if necessary.

----- Jeremy50