[mythtv-users] Compatibility with HDTV card

Raphael rpooser at gmail.com
Tue Jun 24 01:30:02 UTC 2008

Harry Orenstein wrote:
> On Sunday 22 June 2008 10:47:21 pm Brian Wood wrote:
>> On Sunday 22 June 2008 20:38:36 Harry Orenstein wrote:
>>> My only theory is that mythbackend is trying to access the card during
>>> the startup process while the drivers are loading, sometimes during the
>>> firmware load, which causes the firmware interrupt error messages.  I
>>> have tried to change the start priority of mythbackend from 86 (per
>>> Axel's script) to 96 (as late as I thought appropriate), but that does
>>> not fix the problem.
>> You could possibly prove (or disprove) your theory by starting mythbackend
>> manually after everything's booted up.
>>
>> You might try starting the backend with rc.local with a sleep before the
>> startup if need be, so everything's had a chance to come up.
>>
>> If that works I guess it'd be a "workaround", not a fix.
>>
>> beww
>
> Brian,
>
> Thanks for the reply.  I've tried disabling the init script for mythbackend
> and then doing a manual start after boot.  It works the same as a restart -
> the firmware loads and the cardinput is available in mythfrontend.
>
> I would prefer not to do a workaround.  I think a sleep would be worst of all
> (I'd hate for my boot process to take any longer - Fedora with KDE is slow
> enough!).  I cannot believe that no one else is running this card on a Fedora
> system.  I'm hoping someone out there has a more permanent solution.
>
> But I do appreciate your help.   ;-)
>

> -- Harry O.

Well you can try an intermediate solution.
Rename the mythbackend script to something like z_mythbackend and update
the scripts using
update-rc.d z_mythbackend defaults
(at least on debian that's how it works)

This would insure that during boot the mythbackend would load last (at
least on debian it goes by alphabetical order after going by runlevel).
I was doing this at one point as one thing that mythbackend needed was
being loaded afterwards and the mythbackend startup was always quietly
failing.
Sorry I can't give more Fedora specific help.
-raphy