[mythtv-users] DVB-S problems with 0.21

Jelte Veldstra jelte.veldstra at gmail.com
Mon Jun 23 07:14:54 UTC 2008

On Sun, Jun 22, 2008 at 12:17 AM, Thomas Börkel <thomas at boerkel.de> wrote:

> HI!
>
> I am in the process of switching from DVB-C to DVB-S and I am
> encountering some problems while testing things out.
>
> When I enter the base transponder (Astra Europe) and scan, it only finds
> a few channels.
>
> When I then scan on existing transponders it does not find more channels.
>
> When I import a channels.conf, it scans while importing. In previous
> MythTV versions, it just imported the channels.conf and was done.
>
> Suddenly, I had all transponders twice. One time with minimum
> information (I guess from importing channels.conf) and one with full
> information (I guess from Myth's own scan). I then deleted each
> transponder with the minimum information (by pressing D and confirming
> for each transponder, which tool a while). Then I scanned again for
> channels.
>
> When I start mythbackend, I get messages like these:
> 2008-06-21 16:10:37.575 DVBChan(3:0) Warning: Your frequency setting
> (12544750) is out of range. (min/max:950000/2150000)
> 2008-06-21 16:10:38.367 DVBChan(7:1) Warning: Your frequency setting
> (12544750) is out of range. (min/max:950000/2150000)
>
> Still the channels seem to work OK.
>
> Now, my questions are:
> What is the correct and recommended way to scan for channels?
>
> What are these frequency warnings? Are they serious? How can I fix that?
>
> The hardware is OK, because everything works fine with VDR for example.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Regards,
> Thomas

The procedure I used was to use the dvbtools for scanning:

scan /usr/share/dvb/dvb-s/Astra-19.2E > /tmp/fullAstra19scan

Then I use the fullAstra19scan as a source to select all the channels I want
and save them in a new file (e.g. channels.conf). From the mythtv-setup I
use the option to import channels from a file to populate the db with
transponder and channel info instead of using it's built-in scanner.

These frequency warnings also show on my setup. Don't know how to get rid of
them, but as far as I can see they don't interfere at all.

Regards,

Jelte