[mythtv-users] Compatibility with HDTV card

Harry Orenstein holists at verizon.net
Mon Jun 23 02:38:36 UTC 2008

I have an HDTV Wonder card (the original, PCI).  It works fine and the drivers
load at boot without problem.  The issue I'm running into is that the
firmware fails to load when mythbackend starts during boot.

One of two things happens: either the firmware fails to load with many
messages ending in 'IRQ loop detected, disabling interrupts' or with no
messages at all.  In either case, the driver is loaded properly, but the
device is unavailable in mythfrontend.  When I try to access the cardinput in
myth it appears to be in use, and unavailable.  If I restart mythbackend, the
firmware loads successfully during the restart and the cardinput is available
in myth.

I'm running Fedora 8 and starting mythbackend in an init script.  I've tried
forcing the cx88_dvb module to load in rc.local, without improvement.  If I
try to access the card using 'mplayer dvb://' the firmware then loads
correctly and I can see video from the card, even if mythbackend is in the
above 'failure' mode (but it doesn't improve access to the cardinput, I still
have to restart mythbackend for that).

My only theory is that mythbackend is trying to access the card during the
startup process while the drivers are loading, sometimes during the firmware
load, which causes the firmware interrupt error messages.  I have tried to
change the start priority of mythbackend from 86 (per Axel's script) to 96
(as late as I thought appropriate), but that does not fix the problem.

Is anyone running this card in Fedora 8 such that everything starts
automatically without problem?  Is it possible to stop mythbackend from
trying to access the cardinput when it starts (so the firmware load is
deferred until I try to access the input from mythfrontend)?  Any suggestions
of things to try to correct my problem would be appreciated.

TIA!

-- Harry O.