[mythtv-users] Apple TV FE with DVD Player?

Jeff Walther trag at io.com
Sun Jun 22 08:13:11 UTC 2008

I've been reading the postings about using the Apple TV as a Front
End with great interest.

Then I looked at the Apple TV more closely on Apple's site and it
does not appear to have a DVD drive.  I guess you're meant to get all
your media on line, which seems a little silly to me, but what do I
know about marketing (answer:  very little).

Would there be any obstacle to attaching an external DVD player or
DVD-R drive to the Apple TV through the USB 2.0 port and using it
with MythDVD?   It kind of spoils the one-box philosophy, but it
would still be pretty compact altogether.

I'm in the research and learning phase of setting up a MythTV front
end and back end, and am still exploring the options to figure out
what best suits my needs.   It sure looks like the Apple TV could do
everything I want in a front end at a lower price than I can build a
quiet attactive PC, except that it does not have a DVD player.

Thank you for any helpful or humorous responses.

Jeff Walther