[mythtv-users] Pinnacle PCTV HD Card

Tom Haddon tom at haddons.net
Sat Jun 21 21:33:03 UTC 2008

On Sat, 2008-06-21 at 10:50 -0400, Timothy E. Krantz wrote:
> [...]
[...]
> I use that card quite successfully, BUT only with the addition of the patch
> from the linux-dvb list that I will drop in below.  This patch to the xc5000
> tuner module (that this pinnacle card uses) has been available since late
> January of this year.  Word was that it would be included in the mainline
> linux-dvb "probably in the next few weeks" but that has not happened.  I'm
> not sure why not.
>
> Here is the patch that resolved the issues you seem to be having from me.
> Thanks again to Mr Zhang.
>
> P.s. here is a link to  the archive of the patch
> http://www.linuxtv.org/pipermail/linux-dvb/2008-January/023392.html
>
> On Jan 27, 2008 6:50 PM, Chaogui Zhang <czhang1974 at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Download the newest v4l-dvb tree from http://linuxtv.org/hg/v4l-dvb
> > and apply the patch against it.
> >

> I just noticed that the previous patch that fixed the kernel oops has been
> merged into the master tree, which conflicts with the patch for tuner
> performance improvement(which contains the oops fixes too). I regenerated
> the patch against the master tree and it is below. Please use this one
> instead.

I'm able to watch TV with mplayer having done the scan into a
~/.mplayer/channels.conf file and then running "mplayer dvb://", so it
looks like the card's working for me. Having said that, I'm still having
problems watching TV from within MythTV and can't check my
configuration/change my channel settings in "mythtv-setup" because
before I can get to any screen it tells me to "run mythfilldatabase",
gives me only the "OK" option and then exits out. So I think my problems
now are all about the way MythTV is setup rather than getting the card
working.

Thanks, Tom