[mythtv-users] Low-Profile Video Card Source ???

Raphael rpooser at gmail.com
Sat Jun 21 20:53:02 UTC 2008

Brian Wood wrote:
> On Saturday 21 June 2008 13:41:43 Raphael wrote:
>> Chris Ribe wrote:
>>> Every Nvidia [5-7][2-3]00 I have ever seen has been low profile ready
>>> (granted, these total about 5 cards).  The VGA at the "top" of the
>>> bracket is always connected to the card by a ribbon, while the DVI and
>>> TV connectors are soldered to the board.
>>>
>>> (yes, I am top posting.  I have been expanding my email horizons lately,
>>> and have discovered that the rest of the civilized world finds bottom
>>> posting strange and confusing)
>> When I first came to the list, I got scolded for top-posting - because I
>> didn't know the etiquette. You've done even worse by saying you know
>> what the standard practice is, and decided to change it right in the
>> middle of a thread....
>
> The bottom line here is that it is Isaac's list, and he has requested no top
> posting. End of discussion as far as I'm concerned.
>
> I'm on a few lists that normally top post, but those are low-traffic lists
> where everyone is following every thread and knows what's happening. I
> believe it would not work well on this list.
>
>> But I do agree, most of the NV5200-7200 cards are low profile. I have a
>> Chaintech FX5200 that is low profile, but only has VGA out. It isn't
>> much of a problem for me though considering how much easier it is for me
>> to get a modeline working over VGA than HDMI.
>
> Well now *you* are generalizing :-)
 >
> I have many such cards, and none of them are lo-profile (obviously, or I
> wouldn't be looking for one). Most of these were purchased long ago, so it
> may be that newer cards are lo-pro, but certainly "most" of them are not, at
> least the ones in my junk drawer :-)

Yes, certainly not a while back - there were a few low profile ones
intermixed with mostly full profile ones. I think what I want to say is
that it seems actually easier now days to find a low profile one, as
evidenced by that NE link, than it did a couple years ago when I was
looking for mine. Further, the low profile cards are more targeted
towards the bottom end where heat and chip real-estate, etc, are not as
much of a concern. A corollary (and maybe also generalization) is "None
of the 8800GTX graphics cards I've seen are low profile."

> A related matter: My $20 front end has BIOS old enough that it doesn't know
> how to boot from a CD. I found the SBM (Smart Boot Manager) which took care
> of that problem.
>
> Funny, but I'm having more fun trying to get a $20 machine to work as a F/E
> than I do with a $1000 unit (because I know that will work). If this works I
> can have a F/E in every room for under $100. Of course I could just use MVPs
> I guess, I've seen them used pretty cheap.

Well, this is interesting, but when you get a $20 full-fledged frontend
that can also play HD give me a call (will the PIII systems handle HD
with XVMC?)!