[mythtv-users] Odd behaviour when a program is scheduled to record by two schedules at once

Nick Craig-Wood nick at craig-wood.com
Fri Jun 20 16:32:41 UTC 2008

Kevin Kuphal <kkuphal at gmail.com> wrote:
> >  On 20/06/2008, Kevin Kuphal <kkuphal at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Per the initial post, the rules would appear to have different
> > priorities and the /lower/ priority rule was being scheduled, hence
> > why I asked. David stated (I may have read more into it than he posted
> > though) that "When two schedules match the same program, the more
> > specific rule generally wins regardless of the priorities". Therefore,
> > if the rules have the same specificity, than the earlier rule wins and
> > not the rule with higher priority..
>
>  You shouldn't believe everything you read on the internet :)  Scheduling
>  isn't as easy as "most specific wins".  See:
>
>  http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Scheduler

Nothing on that page talks about one show being scheduled by two
different scheduling rules which is what was catching me out.

If the two schedules on the one show were treated as two seperate
shows in the scheduler then the logic on that page would do the right
thing, except for the fact that the show might be recorded twice.  I
guess the myth developers (and I'll admit to not having looked at the
code) decided to simplify things by using the "When two schedules
match the same program, the more specific rule generally wins
regardless of the priorities" rule.

It isn't a very common problem because it is hard to make schedules
that cause trouble like this without using the power search, and most
people don't run multiple schedules for the same show.