[mythtv-users] good capture card?

David Whyte david.whyte at gmail.com
Thu Jun 19 11:02:55 UTC 2008

On Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 8:29 PM, Mark <fairlane at springcom.com> wrote:
> Phil Bridges wrote:
>> I'm going to go ahead and say what needs to be said here:  with the
>> questions you have, it's a bad idea to build a Myth machine as a
>> surprise for your sister.  It would be best to build one for yourself
>> before you have other people looking to you for tech support.
>>
> Amen.  I would NOT build a mythtv box if I were you.  Read everything
> you can and come back in a year if you still are interested.

I wondered whether Depo was a setup just to see how the community
responded.  No insult intended Depo.

Anyways, I would agree with Phil's comments over Marks.  Don't give
up, but do give it a go and spend some time working on a project for
yourself first.  I didn't know squat about mythTV or Linux back in
2004 when I started, now Ubuntu is my OS of choice and I live a mythTV
dependent house with 5 frontends and I have my brothers old PC sat
under my desk ready for me to build his first backend.  The only thing
stopping me is knowing which is the best capture card to buy.  But
that will be a thread of my own ;)

Regards,
Whytey