[mythtv-users] via m10000

Paul Bender pebender at san.rr.com
Wed Jun 18 15:29:43 UTC 2008

Kevin Robbins wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 2:14 PM, James Stembridge <jstembridge at gmail.com
> <mailto:jstembridge at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 5:58 PM, David Watkins
>     <watkinshome at gmail.com <mailto:watkinshome at gmail.com>> wrote:
>      > I set up an M10K as a frontend about 18 months ago.  The details
>     are a
>      > bit hazy now but I think I used the openchrome driver. Whatever
>     it was
>      > it definitely supported XvMC.
>
>     I also found openchrome was the way to go. XvMC (the Via specifc
>     rather than generic one) with chromakey osd gives the smoothest
>     playback as far as I can remember.
>

> I spent the entire day fiddling with this thing, I'm getting closer but
> still need an assist. If I go to settings-tv settings-playback. And
> choose via xvmc for anything greater than 480H X 720W now I can view
> liveTV and recordings just fine. However, now video's wont play at all.
> But if I change the greater than 480H X 720W back to libmpeg2 I now get
> video playback and choppy recorded tv/livetv playback. Does anyone know
> an easier way to satisfy both of these things?

When you say larger than 720x480, how much larger? The M10000 has a VIA
CLE266. The hardware MPEG2 decoder on the VIA CLE2666 has a maximum
resolution of 1024x1024. Therefore, being able to use the hardware MPEG2
decoder for HDTV resolutions of either 1280x720 or 1920x1080 is unlikely.

Without the hardware MPEG2 decoder, it is very unlikely that you will be
able to play back any SDTV or HDTV resolution without stuttering.

Essentially, if you have a motherboard with a VIA CLE266, then you are
limited to SDTV resolutions. At least, that has been my experience with
my VIA EPIA M6000, VIA EPIA SP8000E and 3+ years developing MiniMyth.