[mythtv-users] Display only detected sometimes, "low-graphics mode" rest of time

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Jun 17 17:54:08 UTC 2008

On Tuesday 17 June 2008 11:43:16 Allen Edwards wrote:
> I just upgraded my myth box from a 2.4GHz P4 to a AMD 5400+.  This is
> my first AMD machine and it isn't going that well.  Besides the air2pc
> card problem in another post, this machine boots up fine sometimes and
> boots up with this message some times:  "Ubuntu is running in
> low-graphics mode".  This is with nvidia 5+ driver.  It seems the
> problem is that the ASUS 6200 PCI-E card is recognizing the Samsung
> 193p+ only some of the times.  I never had a problem with this monitor
> in mythbuntu with the P4 system and the EVGA 6200 AGP card.
>
> Does anyone know if this means I have defective hardware?  I think I
> have like 7 days to send stuff back if needed.
>
> Anyone else have this problem?
>
> I searched for a solution and of course, there are lots of advice how
> to get rid of this error when it is permanent (install the drivers)
> but nothing for a sometimes problem.

I found that the latest Kubuntu (8.04) has problems recognizing the graphics
capability of some nVidia cards. My 7100 works great but my 7600 is sometimes
seen as only capable of 640x480. As with your problem, this is a "sometimes"
problem, but I'm not running Myth on a (K)Ubuntu system so it's not a big
deal to me, just annoying.

beww