[mythtv-users] via m10000

Mark Greenwood fatgerman at ntlworld.com
Tue Jun 17 15:12:37 UTC 2008

On Tuesday 17 June 2008 16:03:36 Mache Creeger wrote:
> At 07:41 AM 6/17/2008, James Stembridge wrote:
> >On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 3:35 PM, Mark Greenwood
> ><fatgerman at ntlworld.com> wrote:
> > > I'm not familair with the board but the title suggests it's a VIA
> > motherboard? VIA boards are not without their problems in terms of
> > performance and there's very little you can do about it; VIA stuff
> > is just generally low performance. I'm using one right now and it
> > sucks.. live TV was very skippy. However I did come across one
> > useful trick - this only works because I'm using a normal CRT TV,
> > but I switched off deinterlacing in the playback options, and CPU
> > usage went down from 75% to 20%.
> >
> >This is overly negative. Plenty of people have or have had (myself
> >included) smooth running via epia based systems.
>
> I have a smooth running VIA EPIA M10000 board as a FE/BE with a
> PVR150 on Fedora 8. All you need is to make sure that XvMC is set up
> correctly in mythfrontend and in /etc/X11/XvMCConfig. Also, I use
> xine for DVD isos instead of the standard settings. In Fedora 8, I
> use the stock video drivers, stock lirc drivers, and stock audio
> drivers. All I do is add the kernel-specific ivtv drivers for the PVR150.
>
> Here is my setting for /etc/X11/XvMCConfig
>
> # more /etc/X11/XvMCConfig
> /usr/lib/libchromeXvMC.so.1

Fair enough. All I'm saying is that if you're having performance issues then the VIA hardware is most likely to blame. It's good that it's possible to make it work. I've come from a long history of doing audio work with computers, and VIA hardware is so notoriously bad that nobody will touch it - that's where I was coming from. It wasn't my intention to put a dampener on things, sorry if that's how it came across.

Mark