[mythtv-users] Multiple DVB Tuners and udev question

Lindsay Mathieson lindsay.mathieson at optusnet.com.au
Tue Jun 17 12:15:08 UTC 2008

David Watkins wrote:
> Reasons for controlling the device order would be if the cards had.
>
> 1) Different channel sources
> 2) Different device drivers
> 3) Periphal attachments (such as an IR receiver) on one of the cards.
> 4) Different performance (so use the lowest quality card last)
>

> You've said (1) doesn't apply to you;  (4) generally isn't an issue
> for DVB (they either work or they dont'); (3) only you know; leaving
> (2):
>
> I don't know if your two cards need different kernel modules loaded,
> but sometimes these need to be loaded in the correct order, to play
> nicely.  I guess suck it and see.

Nice summary - thanks!

Yah, 3 doesn't matter for me. As for 2 - they do have different kernel
modules but I'm assuming that is abstracted away by the time myth gets
to them. Like you say, suck it and see :)

Plus I'm not sure how to setup a udev rule for a DVB device. As far as I
can tell udev rules apply to single devices, e.g /dev/video0 wheres as
dvb adapters are 4 devices (demux0  dvr0  frontend0  net0) under one
directory.

Thanks,

--
Lindsay