[mythtv-users] What IR receiver do you use?

Ceri Coburn ceri.coburn at googlemail.com
Tue Jun 17 09:48:01 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-06-17 at 01:19 -0400, Carl Reynolds wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
> I have a system I've been running MythTV on for a couple of years. I've
> been using a keyboard to control the system, but am interested in
> hooking up an IR receiver to use a remote.
>
> I wanted to find out what receivers other people are using that might be
> a good choice for me.

I use a simple IR diode connected to the CD-in port of the soundcard,
you may even be able to recycle that IR receiver that you already have.
I guess it depends on if you want a cheap/free solution or go for the
more expensive MCE type receiver.

Anyway if you want more information on the IR receiver using the
soundcard check this out here.

http://www.mediaboxblog.co.uk/blog1.php/2008/05/22/howto-home-brew-ir-receiver-for-lirc

I've written a guide on  how to do it using the soundcard.