[mythtv-users] Comcast to drop analog cable

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Mon Jun 16 21:39:56 UTC 2008

On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 11:35 AM, Alan Murrell <lists at murrell.ca> wrote:
> ----- "Mark Knecht" <markknecht at gmail.com> wrote:
>> bandwidth.) I'll stick 20 movies in my Watch Instantly queue. At 4GB
>> it's 100 GB for DVD quality. No big deal. So what if I cannot really
>
> Do you really need "DVD Quality", though?  I have ripped and watched many a DVD to 700MB DivX and the quality seems almost on par.

I completely agree. 95% of my TV watching is completely non-critical
watched on screens that aren't HD capable, sitting in rooms that
aren't properly set up as a home theater and without anything more
than standard stereo sound.

Fundamentally I'm not looking for a theater experience but once or
twice a week. Certainly not when watching the 7th rerun of some Law &
Order episode.

The current NetFlix Watch Instantly service is great for this. just
pick something out and turn it on. I have a PC in my office streaming
something from them probably 8-10 hours a day as I work on stuff.

- Mark