[mythtv-users] OT: 32bit or 64bit OS

Robert Macaulay robert.macaulay at gmail.com
Mon Jun 16 21:16:21 UTC 2008

On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 2:39 PM, Stuart Larson <halcyon at obfus.com> wrote:

> How much RAM?  I believe anything over 3.8Gig is unusable under 32-bit,
> and would need 64-bit.  I don't know of any other relevant differences,
> but I don't run 64-bit anyway :)

You can use more for things like filesystem caching on a 32 bit os w/ a PAE
enabled kernel.  And I believe that multiple processes each can use up to 3
gigs each. 64 bit allows a single process to get more than 3Gig, and is a
bit more efficient since enabling PAE on a 32 bit proc causes a slight
performance hit to all memory access, above or below 4Gig.

robert