[mythtv-users] Comcast to drop analog cable

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Mon Jun 16 17:06:53 UTC 2008

On Jun 16, 2008, at 9:57 AM, Gabe Rubin wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 15, 2008 at 8:37 PM, Brad DerManouelian
> <myth at dermanouelian.com> wrote:
>> On Jun 15, 2008, at 7:06 PM, Mark Knecht wrote:
>>
>>> I agree, but that's 2010, and it's only true if it really happens.
>>> Not
>>> to worry right now. I suspect Comcast will continue to have to meet
>>> customer's needs or else they don't get paid. I'll drop 'em like a
>>> rock when I have a good alternative in the SF Bay Area.
>>
>> From what I have read on this list, Astound delivers all of their
>> programming unencrypted. Even premium channels.
>> I opted for DirecTV and awaiting HD-PVR support in MythTV. :)
>>

> This is true (for the most part).  I get a fair chunk of my subscribed
> channels over firewire, including HBO and Showtime and others in HD,
> and I have specifically told astound techs and customer service that
> this is the sole reason I remain with them.  They are not 100%
> coverage in the bay area, but they do cover parts (I live in SF).  And
> no, I do not work for Astound or have any incentive to see others
> subscribe, aside from Astound knowing it is in its business interest
> to keep firewire accessible.

I live in SF and they say they cover my zip code, but when I ordered
service I got an email back saying they don't cover my street so I
decided to stick with DirecTV. I'm glad I did because HD looks so much
better on DirecTV compared to my friend's Comcast service.

-Brad <eagerly awaiting Hauppauge 1212 support in MythTV> D.