[mythtv-users] mytfilldatabase question

peter at vanderwal.us peter at vanderwal.us
Mon Jun 16 08:25:35 UTC 2008

> peter at vanderwal.us wrote:
>>> Will it be safe to do the following:
>>>
>>> * Stop mythbackend
>>> * run mythfilldatabase --manual (enabling "all" channels)
>>> * Start mythbackend
>>>
>>> If it matters my system i based on FC6, and it is set up using the
>>> howto
>>> written by Jarod Wilson
>>>
>  > Why would you want to stop the backend?
>  >
> Because you will invariably have to go into mythtv-setup and use the
> channel
> editor to clean up the mess the --manual option will leave you, before
> restarting the backend.

I've never stopped the backend when doing this, am I causing extra problems?
I run the mythfilldatabase --manual, I usually do this from a terminal
window with both the backend and the front end running.  Then I either go
into setup, or more recently use Mythweb, to see the channels.
I've never stopped mythbackend while doing this.  I usually don't have to
do any channel editing unless I messed it up when responding to questions
on the mythfilldatabase --manual.

FWIW I use DirecTV and the tv_grab_na_dtv xmltv grabber