[mythtv-users] Moving from Cable to Satellite

Ma Begaj derliebegott at gmail.com
Sun Jun 15 21:53:11 UTC 2008

2008/6/15 Brad DerManouelian <myth at dermanouelian.com>:
> On Jun 15, 2008, at 2:00 PM, Ma Begaj wrote:
>
>> I just got a UPC Philips HD receiver for cable TV and I am testing at
>> the moment PVR-150 for recording.
>>
>> 1. I connected Scart-Out on the receiver with PVR-150.
>> 2. I decided to use PVR's composite-in instead of s-video, because the
>> picture has the better quality, at least for me
>> 3. sound is ok (stereo only). Dolby Digital (5.1) is lost.
>>
>> Picture through PVR150 is OK, but the quality is not as near good as
>> the direct connection from the receiver to TV through HDMI. colors are
>> washed out and picture is not really clear.
>>
>> It is watchable, but is really a pity that such a great HD quality
>> gets lost.
>>
>> Q1: HD receiver has S/PDIF out. Could I somehow mix the digital sound
>> and analog picture for recording? :-), I know, strange question, but I
>> would like to have at least great sound.
>>
>> Q2: I have IR-Blaster (MCE USB), but I have no idea how to find the
>> right codes for lirc. Google gave me no answers.  I should probably
>> need some kind of universal IR-Receiver which can get all the remote's
>> codes. Is that right?
>
> You should probably start a new thread for your questions. I haven't
> used cable in several years and never with an HD box and your
> situation has little to do with switching from Cable to Satellite. :)
> I'm not sure why your composite in is better than s-video. I've only
> ever heard of s-video being equal or better than composite. The
> picture through the PVR-150 will not be nearly as good as High Def out
> of your box to the TV. However, it will be better than a standard
> definition box to your TV.
>
> I've never used an IR-Blaster for more than a couple of days. DirecTV
> boxes can be controlled with serial connections. However, I think you
> are misunderstanding what a "Universal IR-Receiver" does. You plug it
> into your computer and issue commands to your computer. It has nothing
> to do with your set-top box. In order to send commands to the set-top
> box, you need to issue commands it understands (via IR, Serial,
> Firewire, etc.).

Sorry for hijacking you topic :). I was just inspired to write,
because I read a few messages here about connecting sat-receiver to
pvr 500 etc.

About  "Universal IR-Receiver" ... I just called like that :). I
wanted to say that I probably need some kind of universal receiver to
detect right codes for my hd-receiver's remote, to be able to change
channels on it.

Thanks