[mythtv-users] Moving from Cable to Satellite

Ma Begaj derliebegott at gmail.com
Sun Jun 15 21:00:02 UTC 2008

2008/6/12 Brad DerManouelian <myth at dermanouelian.com>:
> On Jun 12, 2008, at 6:42 AM, Brett Williams wrote:
>
>> I have my MythTV up and working just the way I like it with my local
>> cable company and using a PVR-350.  I just bought, but haven't
>> installed, a PVR-500 so I can have more tuners available.
>>
>> With that said, I have been looking at the offers from DirectTV and
>> am really impressed with the savings that I would be able to have by
>> switching to Satellite instead of cable.
>>
>> My question is, how do I go about using MythTV through a Satellite
>> receiver?  What would I have to be doing differently than just
>> running the coax from the cable company into my PVR-350?
>
> In addition to the other information you're received (the screensaver
> thing is ONLY Dish. DirecTV doesn't do this), I would say if you get a
> good deal on going HD instead of SD, do it. You will get much better
> quality out of the SVideo port from the HD boxes than the SD boxes.
> Also, the aspect ratio will be 16:9 for most channels out of the HD
> boxes instead of 4:3 on every channel. Then of course you can get
> yourself an HD-PVR or two or three should you decide to go HD and
> those drivers become more mature and integrated into MythTV.

I just got a UPC Philips HD receiver for cable TV and I am testing at
the moment PVR-150 for recording.

1. I connected Scart-Out on the receiver with PVR-150.
2. I decided to use PVR's composite-in instead of s-video, because the
picture has the better quality, at least for me
3. sound is ok (stereo only). Dolby Digital (5.1) is lost.

Picture through PVR150 is OK, but the quality is not as near good as
the direct connection from the receiver to TV through HDMI. colors are
washed out and picture is not really clear.

It is watchable, but is really a pity that such a great HD quality gets lost.

Q1: HD receiver has S/PDIF out. Could I somehow mix the digital sound
and analog picture for recording? :-), I know, strange question, but I
would like to have at least great sound.

Q2: I have IR-Blaster (MCE USB), but I have no idea how to find the
right codes for lirc. Google gave me no answers.  I should probably
need some kind of universal IR-Receiver which can get all the remote's
codes. Is that right?

Thanks.