[mythtv-users] MythTV Help please!

Allen Edwards allen.edwards at oldpaloalto.com
Sun Jun 15 04:44:12 UTC 2008

On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 11:45 PM, Depo Catcher <depocatcher at gmail.com> wrote:

> I finally switched over to MythTV from Microsoft's Media Center and
> having lots tons of problems!
>
> I'm using Mythbuntu on an MSI Media Live PC, the wiki claimed it was
> supported.
>
> First: MythTV isn't working.  I install it from CD-Rom and it asked me
> for the root password to MySQL, I entered that and then another screen
> came up.  I pressed the 'Go Back' button (I needed to write something
> down) and it went 'forward'!  I hit it again and it skipped ahead!  So
> there is two screens of information that I didn't even get to read (plus
> the MySQL information).  One one about a webfront end or something, I
> don't know what the other is about.  How do I re-read these screens?
> Where is this information stored?
>
> Secondly, it loads up and I start MythTV and it says "no UPNP device".
> Then it gives me connection options, I enter in what it created for me,
> but can't connect.
>
> Thirdly, the database on localhost is empty.  I run mythfilldatabase or
> whatever and it errors out because the database it's there.
>
> Finally, neither my remote nor the LCD display in front works.  I know
> the hardware works because it worked under Media Center.
>
> -Dean

I feel your pain.  I have been fighting a new install and learning as
I go along.  I have it working, but the more I go, the more things I
come up with the learn.    Let me share some lesions I learned.
1) Like the ad says, MythTV is hard.  You better need a hobby if you
get into it.  That said, it can go easily if you take some time and go
slow.
2) Sounds like  you should start over with a clean install.  You are
getting error messages I never got.  I never recall being asked for a
MySQL password.  I think there may be one there by default, but I
never changed it.  Just put the disk in and do a disk wipe and start
over.
3) Printout the instructions and follow them step my step.  I don't
think you can figure it out from the screens.  You can barely figure
it out from the instructions.  I am sure someone put a lot of work
into them but having example screens in error states was very
confusing to me.
4) You may need to install special software drivers for your video
card.  Search the web for it and you will probably find clear
instructions.
5) When you search, always add mythbunty 8.04 (assuming that is what
you are using) to your search string as the instructions for older
releases will just frustrate you.
6) I have not done remote yet so cannot help there but I think the
general stuff above will get you going.  You can use the keyboard to
do everything so that will get you started.  In fact, I wish I had a
wireless keyboard so I could just clone key pushes into my MX-500 and
avoid learning about remotes.

If  you don't need a hobby, buy a TiVO.

Allen