[mythtv-users] How to clean out recordings directory?

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Fri Jun 13 23:17:53 UTC 2008

On Jun 13, 2008, at 4:07 PM, The GUIGuy wrote:

> Brad DerManouelian wrote:
>

>> Oh, then you have to make sure that the user that is running
>> mythbackend has access to remove files in /var/lib/mythtv/recordings.
>> It should be doing this automatically. To clean up that directory,
>> try
>> the myth.find_orphans.pl script to get rid of these orphaned files.
>>

> Thanks for that. But here's what I mean about wikis:
>
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Myth.find_orphans.pl
>
> It gives nothing away about where I might find the script or how to
> use it.

It says right on the page "myth.find_orphans.pl is a perl script in
the contrib directory..."
Where your contrib directory is depends on your distribution so
there's no one answer for that.
I use locate <filename> to find where stuff is, but again - that
command may not be available depending on your linux distribution.
Mine is /usr/share/doc/mythtv-docs-0.21/contrib/myth.find_orphans.pl

myth.find_orphans.pl --help tells you how to use it. --help or -help
will generally give you usage information on any script if the author
of the script was kind enough to include it.

-Brad