[mythtv-users] music way louder than TV/video

peter at vanderwal.us peter at vanderwal.us
Fri Jun 13 13:44:33 UTC 2008

> I am using an up-to-date build of .21-fixes.  Since upgrading from .20
> to .21, I have noticed that myth plays mp3 files *much* louder than TV
> or video.  I use SPDIF, so the mixer sliders don't affect anything
> (except muting).  I also use AC3 passthrough, though I don't think that
> matters.  Any suggestions?  Thanks.

I have the same problem and it effects ripped DVDs too (they are also
louder than tv)
I thought at first it was that the TV is too quite, but I have a DVD
player connected to the same amp and use S/PDIF for it also.  The TV and
DVD volume is about the same.

You can transcode the MP3s and reduce their volume, but every time I try
this with a video, it screws up the video.  So I've just learned to live
with it.

As you've discovered, the mixer and volume controls don't work with S/PDIF.