[mythtv-users] please dont yell at me

Kevin Kuphal kkuphal at gmail.com
Fri Jun 13 16:21:08 UTC 2008

On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 10:33 AM, John Drescher <drescherjm at gmail.com>
wrote:

> > If it were my box, I wouldn't use RAID at all.  I've been burnt before
> > with the "lose one disk, lose everything" scenario that you've just
> > experienced.
> I think you are talking about LVM or raid 0. With real raid you can
> loose 1 disk (or more) without any data loss. However for my myth
> setup I am thinking of going away from that to individual drives so
> they can spin down. Having raided my os drive it will never let my
> drives spin down while the machine is powered.

To a point.  A RAID 5 set will still have one filesystem unless you
partition the raid device into multiple partitions.  Any filesystem error
will take out the entire set contrasted with individual drives which can
only lose that single drive.  It's really a tradeoff any way you look at it:

RAID: One drive failure, no loss.  One filesystem error, total loss
Storage groups: One drive failure, one drive lost.  One filesystem erorr,
one drive lost.

Kevin