[mythtv-users] UPnP debugging/setup help

Norm Dugas normdugas at yahoo.ca
Thu Jun 12 15:34:59 UTC 2008

Mark J. Scheller wrote:
> I am looking at an upgrade to HD and for a new front-end, a PS3.
> Looks like UPnP is the current preferred method so I started to dig
> around to see what I could do with it.  I'm running the current 0.21
> version from atrpms under CentOS 5 (e.g.
> mythtv-backend-0.21-187.el5.i386.rpm).  I decided to try this out
> first with a Fedora 9 laptop and djmount and even after stopping
> iptables, I can't see anything from my mythbackend server.
>
> The documentation for UPnP in Myth is so scant I assume there's almost
> nothing that needs to be done to use it.  So what am I missing here???
>
> --
> [MjS]

In mythtv-setup, do you have the actual IP address of the backend or is
it set to localhost/127.0.0.1?  I recall now that I had to change this
to the actual IP.  Once that was done and mythbackend restarted, I was
able to see it in my PS3.  I also had to install Mythvideo and Mythmusic
so that I could adjust the directories to be able to see them on my
PS3.  As for HD, I capture from firewire on a Motorola DCT6412 but when
I play back on the PS3, I get no sound so I suspect I'm going to have to
set up a transcode job or something.  I haven't really done much
troubleshooting on that part yet since I have my frontend right next to
my PS3.

Hope this helps,
Norm