[mythtv-users] Anyone care to double check my shopping basket?

Allen Edwards allen.edwards at oldpaloalto.com
Thu Jun 12 05:04:49 UTC 2008

The Processor and RAM look correct for the MB.  In other words, it
looks fine to me.  I just went thought this and know it is difficult
to buy when it is just yourself checking.  I didn't get anyone
checking mine so just had to buy it.  But then again, I had a lot more
questions than this simple three component list you have.

The only thing I would say is that while I was checking, newegg (the
local store everyone seems to use) started offering a  5400+ machine
for just a little more money than what I was looking at.  Your choice
is a little less so you may not want to step up.  The thing I found in
researching this is that when the processor clock is not a multiple of
400MHz, you end up turning the memory clock down to get everything to
sync.  Now, I don't actually know if this is true, but your 2.5GHz
clock may cause you to slow the memory if this is in fact true.
Alternately, you might think of the 4600+, which has a 2.4GHz clock.
I have no idea if this would be better or worse, just raising the
issue.  You would need to check with someone more knowledgeable.

Hope this helps,

Allen