[mythtv-users] please dont yell at me

scram69 scram69 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 11 17:50:54 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 10:15 AM, Johnny Russ <jruss at mit.edu> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 1:02 PM, brian boyle <homepvr at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> oh really. i didnt know that you could do that with the alternate cd.
>>

> Here are some guides from the Ubuntu documentation. They aren't always up to
> date for 8.04 Hardy, but they should have everything you need.
>
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/LVMOnRaid
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/SoftwareRAID

I've used the alternate cd along with the guidance in those links to
successfully install a bootable Ubuntu partition on raid-1 (redundancy
for my wife's desktop).

However, you might want to consider a plain vanilla install for the OS
on a single smaller drive, and then set up a raid-5 array using your
larger disks for your media (recordings/videos/music/images).  My
backend is also a webserver, and I store the website data (i.e.
pictures of the kids) on the media array.  It's straightforward to set
up an nfs share for the directories in the raid-5 volume for your
frontends.  Once you have the backend and webserver configured to your
liking, you can always back up the file system to an external drive to
protect against failure of the OS drive.
I also run nightly backups of the mythconverg and website databases to
the raid array.

Just a suggestion-