[mythtv-users] HD recording

Marc Randolph mrand at pobox.com
Wed Jun 11 16:02:55 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 10:38 AM, Alan Murrell <lists at murrell.ca> wrote:
> Hello all.
>
> I live in Vancouver, Canada.  I currently record my TV using analog input to a PVR-500, though I use a digital cable box for
> my regular TV viewing (I don't use my MtthTV box to watch live TV)
>
> Anyway, with the cable companies apparently discontinuing analog service in February, I was thinking about moving to HD,
> as I have read some positive results of people being able to record HD via firewire.

Howdy Alan,

Are you certain that your cable company is dropping their analog
service in February?  The "transition to digital broadcasting on
February 17, 2009" is only required for over-the-air broadcasts.
Cable companies drive their own boat, and can continue offering analog
service if they please (although they would much rather you rent a
digital converter box).

> My question: if I connect my MythTV box via firewire to an HD box and am recording a show, would I also be able to watch
> "live tv" at the same time on another channel with the same box?  I am guessing "no", but want to check here, as I am sure
> there are people here that know for sure :-)
>
> I guess I am just trying to see how many HD units I am going to need to get :-)

As you guessed, you likely need one for every instance of simultaneous
viewing or recording.  Makes the cable company even happier (although
my impression is that you had an easier time in Canada buying your
cable boxes than we do in the USA).

Have fun,

   Marc