[mythtv-users] Linux software raid question

Martin Bene martin.bene at icomedias.com
Wed Jun 11 14:22:45 UTC 2008

Hi John,

>> I know, but what happens when a drive fails.  I switched to
>> hardware RAID not because of runtime performance, but because
>> of ease of recovery in failure.  It does not matter if the
>> partitions are mirrored.  Either you have the bootloader
>> in the MBR, or on the boot sector of an individual
>> partition. The BIOS will only point to a single bootloader
>> and if the drive with that fails, you must go into BIOS
>> and change it.

> The  bios will choose the next drive. And all drives have the boot
> loader on them and also all drives have a MBR.

Depends very much on your definition of "fails". If a drive fails
completely (i.e is no longer found by the bios) this works as by your
explanation.

If, however, "fails" just means read errors on MBR and/or sectors used
by the boot loader, initrd or kernel, then the boot process will
hang/fail on all motherboards I've seen so far.

Bye, Martin