[mythtv-users] DVD Drive Playback Problems

Brandon L. Rogers blrogers at ieee.org
Wed Jun 11 02:14:12 UTC 2008

All,

I hope you all might be able to help me with some DVD playback problems that
I have been having...

First, the symptoms:

- libdvdnav errors on all DVDs for all players that use the library (xine,
mythvideo, etc).  This causes playback to crash or freeze on all players.
- Mostly fine, but occasionally jumpy (with greatly increased volume levels
during the skips) on players that do not utilize libdvdnav (mplayer).  There
is a high amount of drive activity during the skips.
- Occurs with all encrypted DVDs.

Now the background.

The only thing that I can see that appears to be different is that I
upgrading the distribution.  When everything was running fine, I was running
on openSUSE 10.2, then upgraded to Debian Etch, then Debian Lenny, then
MythDora 5 (FC8).  All the newer distros exhibits these same problems.  The
only thing I can tell changed is that the newer distros are using /dev/sr0
(the SATA drivers for IDE CDROMs) while openSUSE was using /dev/hdb.  I have
no I idea if this could even remotely be the problem...  During this upgrade
I also upgraded to 0.21-fixes.  (So as you can see... a lot of things have
changed.)  I thought perhaps that it could be a problem with the hardware,
but I switched out the drive with a brand new one in my Windows machine and
that same drive, played the same DVDs perfectly in Windows.

My Set Up...

	Pentium 4 HT 2.8 GHZ
	2 GB RAM
	DVD-RW 52X
	MCEUSB2 remote
	NVIDIA FX 5200
	DVI->HDMI->32" HDTV
	libdvdread, libdvdnav, and libdvdcss are all installed and working

Does anyone have *any* idea or hints about this one?  I've been scouring
mailing lists and Google for almost 3 weeks now and can't find a single
thing.

As a side note, MythTV playback seems to have gone downhill is some respects
in 0.21-fixes (at least on my setup)...  Can't resize recording playback to
compensate for overscan, internal DVD player freezing on menus...  (On the
other hand, though, playback speed seems better, less CPU utilization,
better options for XvMC, etc...  maybe a toss-up).  Is anyone else
experiencing this or am I alone in banging my head on the wall.

Thanks for any help you can provide!  Sorry for the book...

Thanks,
Brandon

As a note beside the side note, it was a sad day yesterday when my wife
unplugged the mythbox in favor of the standalone DVD player...  In an
attempt to vindicate Linux DVD playback, I came to you all.