[mythtv-users] XvMC does not work on 720p!?

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Tue Jun 10 19:57:54 UTC 2008

Marc Christensen wrote:
> R. G. Newbury wrote:
> [snip]
>> The nvidia driver can do xvmc (if your driver works with your kernel and
>> distro...that appears to be the black art!)
>>
>> 2 things:
>> a)	You need a section in xorg.conf:
>>
>>   Section "Extensions"
>>        Option "Composite" "Disabled"
>>   EndSection
>>
>> b)	You don't say, but are you using the same output to the projector? If
>> so, are the resolutions the same? X may be mixed up when you change. If
>> not, is that output enabled? If it is a 'TV-OUT' output, it may need to
>> be specifically enabled. Check the Mythtv wiki xvmc page, and the NVidia
>> Readme, which explains the switches.
>
> Thanks.  I have a) taken care of.  See http://monoport.com/17516
>
> As for the monitors, I wanted to make things as simple as possible in
> order to narrow this down.  So I configure and use only one monitor at
> at time, the projector is the only thing connected to my computer
> currently and is the only output I have configured for this at the
> moment.  I did a clean configuration for the computer monitor separately
> and got that working only once, temporarily and I haven't been able to
> get that working again either.  I'm also using either the VGA out for
> the monitor or the DVI out for the projector but not the TV out in
> either case.
>
> Thanks for your suggestions, any other ideas?

Of course! I'm a lawyer. We *ALWAYS* have ideas. How many can you afford?

Seriously, however, what else is in your xorg.conf? Do you have:

Section "Module"
         Load  "extmod"
         Load  "dbe"
         Load  "type1"
         Load  "freetype"
         Load  "glx"
EndSection

AIUI you properly should not need those: the driver is supposed to do it
automagically...but....
Once that is on place, do a cold boot and look through
/var/log/Xorg.0.log. You *should* see a section like:

(II) LoadModule: "extmod"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions//libextmod.so
(II) Module extmod: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
         Module class: X.Org Server Extension
         ABI class: X.Org Server Extension, version 0.3
(II) Loading extension SHAPE
(II) Loading extension MIT-SUNDRY-NONSTANDARD
(II) Loading extension BIG-REQUESTS
(II) Loading extension SYNC
(II) Loading extension MIT-SCREEN-SAVER
(II) Loading extension XC-MISC
(II) Loading extension XFree86-VidModeExtension
(II) Loading extension XFree86-Misc
(II) Loading extension XFree86-DGA
(II) Loading extension DPMS
(II) Loading extension TOG-CUP
(II) Loading extension Extended-Visual-Information
(II) Loading extension XVideo
(II) Loading extension XVideo-MotionCompensation
(II) Loading extension X-Resource

before it loads the nvidia driver.

Regarding using mplayer, what happens if you use just:

mplayer -vo xvmc file,mpg

I have had some weird results with the latest Intel driver, where it
plays standard def files withour problem, ONLY if I do not add the usual
-vc ffmpeg12mc filter.  No, I have no idea why.

Geoff