[mythtv-users] MPAA wants to stop DVRs from recording some movies

William william_munson at comcast.net
Tue Jun 10 10:28:58 UTC 2008

Brad DerManouelian wrote:
> When I bought the Apple TV a few days ago, I thought, "If it's as good
> as I hope it will be, I'll just use it as-is. If it's just ok, I'll
> dual-boot between MythTV and AppleTV depending on if I want to listen
> to music/watch iTunes movies or watch TV with it."
>
> After I set it up and discovered that I couldn't watch movies I bought
> from the iTunes store because I was using HDMI and not component, I
> immediately reformatted the Apple TV OS partition and solely use it
> for MythTV. When copy protection got to the point where it was easier
> to steal a movie and watch it where I wanted rather than spending $15
> for the movie to download, then $229 on the AppleTV box to watch it,
> plus $??? on a display with component inputs to replace the $500 extra
> DVI display I already had that wasn't being used, I said, "Forget it."
> I think a lot of consumers will eventually be pushed to piracy for the
> same reason. It's too difficult/expensive to comply with DRM. For me,
> I'll just stick to watching movies when they come on TV or come in via
> NetFlix.
>
> _

NetFlix is nice but you still have to be able to play the disc on your
computer which, for me, is a issue with many discs. A couple of years
ago I discovered the world of newsgroup servers and programs like
Newsleecher which have provided me with more movies and other stuff than
I could ever use. Most movies are already in .ISO format and can simply
be dropped into my video directory and watched. Of course in your part
of the world this may be illegal so use at your own risk, etc, yada yada.

W.