[mythtv-users] Mobo Advice - 7050/8200/690G/780G ?

Allen Edwards allen.edwards at oldpaloalto.com
Tue Jun 10 03:13:20 UTC 2008

On Mon, Jun 9, 2008 at 7:48 PM, lindsay.mathieson
<lindsay.mathieson at optusnet.com.au> wrote:
> Bit of a list I know :) but they're all price competitive.
> Its a good time to be buying integrated M/B's, but the
> driver support is an issue :(
>
> Basically looking to playback SD and occasional HD (no
> H.264). CPU will be at least a AMD 4800+, output will be
> DVI/HDMI to a good quality plasma. Not fussed re XvMC
> support.
>
> Just agonising over the M/B.
>
> Asus M2N-VM-DVI F7050
> - NVidia 7050
> - Seems well supported by Linux,
> - XvMC
> - Older now
>
> Asus M3N78-EMH HDMI
> - NVidia 8200
> - Recent reports seem to indicate it barely works under
> Linux which surprises me, is this really the case?
>

> Asus M2A-VM AM2 AMD690G
> - 690G Chipset
> - ATI Radeon X1250
> - XvMC?
> - Linux Support?
> - Older now
>
> Asus M3A78-EMH-HDMI AM2+ AMD780G
> Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H AMD780G
> - 790G Chipset
> - ATI Radeon HD3200
> - XvMC?
> - Linux Support?
>

> The feature set of the 780G is great but I tend towards
> NVidia video as the driver support seems better. Have had
> bad experiences with ATI in the past ...
>
> However the 8200 seems to be a non-starter at the the moment
> and the 7050 is near obsolete. But so long as I can play SD
> and HD why should I care?
>
> Opinions?
>
> Thanks - Lindsay
>
> Lindsay
> http://members.optusnet.com.au/~blackpaw1/album

I am going through the decision process now on an ATX board.  I will
share what little I have learned.

The Myth hardware wikki says don't use ATI so I ruled that out.  The
8200 will not support XvMC so if you ever need that, you are out of
luck.
http://www.nvidia.com/docs/CP/11036/PureVideo_Product_Comparison.pdf

I almost bought the Asus M2N-VM-DVI but it doesn't have S/PDIF or
S-Video which I need.  I decided on a board without video and an  ASUS
EN6200LE TC1G/TD/512M GeForce 6200LE 512MB 64-bit GDDR2 PCI Express
x16 Video Card.  The wikki says that people have good luck with 6200s
and I am presently using a 6200 in my old computer with great results.

Given you list, I would go with the Asus M2N-VM-DVI F7050, if it fit my needs.

Allen