[mythtv-users] MPAA wants to stop DVRs from recording some movies

George Mari george_mythusers at mari1938.org
Tue Jun 10 01:06:14 UTC 2008

John Drescher wrote:
>> I wonder what the effect of something like this would be on recent devices like HD-PVR that exploit the
>> analog hole.  I would assume the HD-PVR would pass on any stream unmodified, thus any copy control
>> encoded into the stream would remain intact.
>>
> There is no such copy control in the analog stream. Only digital streams.
>
> John

True, but there is speculation about selectively lowering the resolution
of component output.

Check out this thread on dbstalk.com for tests that DirecTV has started
regarding HDCP on HDMI and DVI outputs on their HD set-top boxes.

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=129334

The popular topic on the thread is, "I wonder if they'll meddle with the
component outputs?"