[mythtv-users] MPAA wants to stop DVRs from recording some movies

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Mon Jun 9 23:23:54 UTC 2008

On Jun 9, 2008, at 4:01 PM, Ronald Frazier wrote:

> Their justification is so flawed.
>
> It will help speed the adoption of DTV for the Feb 2009 switchover?
> Please. In what way? People are going to say "well, I wasn't going to
> buy a HDTV, but now that some movies are being shown a few months
> earlier I guess I've got to get one"? Yeah...somehow I'm not buying it
>
> Second, the issue is about stopping casual piracy. Except the DVRs
> that this would mostly effect (mostly TiVo and cable companies) are
> also the devices that do not allow sharing recordings. So it's
> basically "we need this so we can stop you from doing things you
> already can't do"
>
> Finally. The broadcast flag was already struck down. How is this
> anything other than the broadcast flag (except for the fact that they
> don't actually use the term "broadcast flag")?

When I bought the Apple TV a few days ago, I thought, "If it's as good
as I hope it will be, I'll just use it as-is. If it's just ok, I'll
dual-boot between MythTV and AppleTV depending on if I want to listen
to music/watch iTunes movies or watch TV with it."

After I set it up and discovered that I couldn't watch movies I bought
from the iTunes store because I was using HDMI and not component, I
immediately reformatted the Apple TV OS partition and solely use it
for MythTV. When copy protection got to the point where it was easier
to steal a movie and watch it where I wanted rather than spending $15
for the movie to download, then $229 on the AppleTV box to watch it,
plus $??? on a display with component inputs to replace the $500 extra
DVI display I already had that wasn't being used, I said, "Forget it."
I think a lot of consumers will eventually be pushed to piracy for the
same reason. It's too difficult/expensive to comply with DRM. For me,
I'll just stick to watching movies when they come on TV or come in via
NetFlix.