[mythtv-users] MythTV on AppleTV

Scott D. Davilla davilla at 4pi.com
Mon Jun 9 20:51:50 UTC 2008

>On Mon, Jun 9, 2008 at 12:43 PM, Scott D. Davilla <davilla at 4pi.com> wrote:

>>>Can anyone confirm color composite out for the appleTV under linux?
>>>I'd really like to pick one up as a front end to replace my xbox
>>>(ugly, noisy, slow, and finally no longer keeping up with myth
>>>versions) but all I have is composite on the TV.
>>>

>>  I can, I did it as a test for someone wanting to play SCART input
>>  games. See this page
>>  http://code.google.com/p/atv-bootloader/wiki/atvdisplay and look for
>>  composite output near the bottom. This is what is required in
>>  xorg.conf, it's NTSC but I'm pretty sure it would also work with PAL
>>  (and the appropriate xorg.conf changes for PAL output).
>
>I'm confused. I didn't know Apple TV had composite out. When I look at
>the picture on the apple site, I don't see it.

That's correct. The AppleTV does not have a yellow RCA connector for
composite output. But there are AppleTV OS hacks and Linux nvidia
xorg config settings that alter the component output such that it
outputs composite video from the green component RCA connector.

The AppleTV does not have a composite output but the video device
settings can be changed to output composite video over one of the
component connectors.