[mythtv-users] Moving recording to Videos

Kevin Kuphal kkuphal at gmail.com
Mon Jun 9 20:52:50 UTC 2008

On Mon, Jun 9, 2008 at 3:34 PM, Richard Shaw <hobbes1069 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I may be missing something, but one would think there would be a
> simple method of moving a recording to Videos using the frontend. I
> have some shows I would like to keep but not have to find in the
> recordings screen. Since I'm recording ATSC they are mpeg2 and
> transcoding to mpeg4 would be a nice to have but for now I'd settle
> for just a way to move the file and rename it appropriately. i.e.
> "$Title - $Subtitle"

Simple and via GUI, not that I've seen.

Relatively simple via command prompt: sure

1.  Run the mythrename.pl contrib script with the --link option to
create a directory of friendly names (I have a cron job set to do this
frequently so I always have this folder available)
2.  Copy the file linked to by the friendly link you want to your
video partition (or you could just move the link there if you never
remove the recording file from the GUI)
3.  Run the video manager from the GUI to import the file

You don't have to transcode or do anything unless you want to conserve space.

Kevin