[mythtv-users] MythTV on AppleTV

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Mon Jun 9 16:50:47 UTC 2008

On Jun 9, 2008, at 8:18 AM, Scott D. Davilla wrote:

>> Scott D. Davilla wrote:
>>> It's pretty easy once you understand a few items;
>>>
>>> 1) The AppleTV needs a GPT formatted disk to be able to boot
>>> atv-bootloader. This can be the internal or and external disk/flash.
>>>

>> Two questions, if you don't mind...
>>
>> 1. Are you using wired or wireless connections to the backend?  Would
>> wireless over a short-ish span (say 40' and two walls) work?
>
> I run wired, others run wireless without problem.
>
>> 2. Does the AppleTV have the horsepower to play captures from the new
>> HD-PVR?
>>

> If the capture is 720p, I'd say it should be able to play without
> problems. 1080p - forget it.

The HD-PVR will only produce 720p or 1080i files. Component doesn't
officially support 1080p (although you can get it to work in some
cases). That aside, I would say the right drivers are needed to decode
h.264 content and I'm not sure if they are available yet. CoreAVC
looks promising but I haven't tried it. I have an HD-PVR sitting on my
master backend just waiting for the driver to be released. I will
report back to the list once I've got captures from it and can test on
my AppleTV.