[mythtv-users] System upgrade - £150 (£200) to spend

Damian damian at gingermagic.co.uk
Mon Jun 9 08:26:51 UTC 2008

Johnny Russ wrote:

>     Reason for upgrade:
>     Computer can't cope with the latest version of Ubuntu and I want to
>     stick with Ubuntu/Mythbuntu to provide me with an easy(ish) path to
>     keeping up to date with MythTV.
>
>  If you are only doing SD then your current setup is much more than
> capable of doing that. Also there is no particular reason why Ubuntu
> 8.04 shouldn't work with your setup. If you are upgrading because of
> problems with Ubuntu, but you don't want to do a clean install of the
> OS, then upgrading your hardware is more likely to cause problems than
> to fix them. It would probably by most helpful to explain what you mean
> by "can't cope". Then people could help you get up an running again with
> your current setup. Mythbuntu is one of the most popular choices and
> between here or the Ubuntu forums you will almost always find the info
> you need to get Mythtbuntu going. If you just want to upgrade to new
> hardware for the heck of it then I am sure you can get help for that
> too, but it doesn't seem to be the answer to your problems as described.

Hello,

I didn't want to take the thread into that as I've spent lots of time in
that subject and given up on it.

A quick summery is that LOTS of people have been having major headaches
getting the Nvidia drivers in Ubuntu 8.04 to behave (when they worked
perfectly in 7.10). There are lots of threads about this, but most
people seem to get things sorted by installing the latest driver, 173.x.
However, when I do that I'm told that the latest drivers only work with
CPU's which have SSE (which I have since found out that my processor
does not).

This leaves me in my current situation. The old drivers don't work and
the new ones don't like my CPU. The system has been out of action (apart
from as a backend) since the upgrade to 8.04 and I've already spent much
more time that I really have available these days trying to fix it. I'm
left with the choice of downgrading to Ubuntu 7.10 or upgrading the CPU
(which would also mean upgrading the motherboard and memory). I'd like
to keep up to date with Myhth, so after much thought I've gone for the
hardware upgrade option.

Damian