[mythtv-users] System upgrade - £150 (£200) to spend

Johnny Russ jruss at mit.edu
Sun Jun 8 20:53:41 UTC 2008

> Reason for upgrade:
> Computer can't cope with the latest version of Ubuntu and I want to
> stick with Ubuntu/Mythbuntu to provide me with an easy(ish) path to
> keeping up to date with MythTV.
>
>  If you are only doing SD then your current setup is much more than capable
of doing that. Also there is no particular reason why Ubuntu 8.04 shouldn't
work with your setup. If you are upgrading because of problems with Ubuntu,
but you don't want to do a clean install of the OS, then upgrading your
hardware is more likely to cause problems than to fix them. It would
probably by most helpful to explain what you mean by "can't cope". Then
people could help you get up an running again with your current setup.
Mythbuntu is one of the most popular choices and between here or the Ubuntu
forums you will almost always find the info you need to get Mythtbuntu
going. If you just want to upgrade to new hardware for the heck of it then I
am sure you can get help for that too, but it doesn't seem to be the answer
to your problems as described.