[mythtv-users] AppleTV dumb questions...

Scott D. Davilla davilla at 4pi.com
Sun Jun 8 17:47:30 UTC 2008

>I've been poking around looking for a replacement for my deceased EPIA
>MII10K (the cap swap didn't help).  And the AppleTV units seem to be a
>runner, admittedly I've a composite/svideo/SCART SD TV so I've begun
>looking at the various hacks to bolt it to this (the softmod composite
>over green/chroma looks promising).
>
>I'm assuming MythTV can run as an application on the AppleTV, is this
>still the case?
>
>One thing I'm worried about is the initial setup of the device, I assume
>it won't do anything odd when I wire it up to an SD TV just bring up a
>settings screen at some ubiquitus low resolution to allow for wifi
>configuration and such?
>
>Any advice from ATV users?  For warned of problems is for armed after
>all.

Two ways to run MythTV

1) native AppleTV OS and an OSX compiled version of MythTV. I don't
do this as this flavor of MythTV cannot do 1080i mpeg2 decode. There
is no XvMC support available. You also have to watch out for the
AppleTV watchdog and AppleTV rev2.x issues.

2) Linux on the AppleTV with standard MythTV frontend. MythBuntu 8.04
is the easiest. Blow away the AppleTV OS (back it up first) and
install MythBuntu 8.04 on the internal drive. The atv-bootloader wiki
as info on this. Someone has done the SCART SD TV method. It seems
pretty simple.