[mythtv-users] MythTV on AppleTV

Scott D. Davilla davilla at 4pi.com
Sun Jun 8 17:40:30 UTC 2008

>On Jun 8, 2008, at 9:07 AM, Scott D. Davilla wrote:
>
>>>  Main page in the atv-bootloader section
>>  (http://code.google.com/p/atv-bootloader/)
>>
>>  The selection of which "atv-boot=" params depends heavily on how you
>>  have chosen to install (internal/external), disk partition format
>>  (GPT/non-GPT) and distro.
>
>I guess I was looking for something at the end of the list of commands
>to do that says, "Now change your bootloader parameter and reboot"
>rather than just "reboot".

That's the trouble with too many option ;) It all depends on how you
got to that point. For some, "atv-boot=auto" is correct, for others
"atv-boot=manual" is correct. For me, I use "atv-boot=none" mostly
because I need to control which of the various distros I'm fiddling
with.

I can add more text to the guides but that just makes it even more
confusing. So I try to strike a balance between a general outline and
a detailed guide and hope for the best. Given the ratio of
downloads/problems, the wiki guides seem to be enough info to get it
working for most. When I see a reoccurring issue, I do correct the
relevant section. I also will create wiki sections for user submitted
guides for example, the gentoo install info is all user supplied.

The only time the wiki guides have failed is when a user has no Linux
experience and they want someone to tell them what to do to make it
work without them learning anything about the AppleTV/Linux and
MythTV. In this case, no amount of detail in a guide will help. There
are just too many branch points.