[mythtv-users] Linux software raid question

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Fri Jun 6 22:43:08 UTC 2008

> The one thing that I do now before adding any drive into an array is a
> badblocks -svw, and if anything shows up, the drive gets RMAd. The downside,
> is that it takes about 36 hours to do a badblocks on a 500GB SATA drive -
> but it's still worth it.

I do that with most new drives that I get at work (unless I am in a
very big hurry). In the last few months most of these have been
Seagate 750GB 7200.11 drives since they are around $130. I have an
older machine with a 4 bay hot swap cage for this very purpose. I
install 4 750GB drives in that and let it run over the weekend. I too
have found a a few drives with bad sectors and they will get RMAd if
there is a single bad sector.

John