[mythtv-users] Linux software raid question

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Fri Jun 6 22:11:56 UTC 2008

On Fri, Jun 6, 2008 at 6:08 PM, Graham Mitchell <gmitch at woodlea.com> wrote:

> [...]
Agreed.

> All you're doing is creating a 2nd
> md device, and using LVM to add it into the existing LV, and expanding the
> filesystem on that. Not that there's anything wrong with that - I've done it
> many times in the past myself.

I have done this most of the time even though I know that growing
exists. I believe this a much safer approach if you do not have a
backup. However I do know that the linux raid code is very robust,
during a grow test I rebooted the machine while it was growing the
array and when the system came back up it continued where it left off.
I am almost certain that the filesystem was already expanded at that
point.

John