[mythtv-users] Mythtv on PS3

greg at nodecam.com greg at nodecam.com
Fri Jun 6 20:06:47 UTC 2008

> I've been doing some reading on the web on the PS3 capabilities. I've
> read reports of people running mythtv FE on the PS3 and even people
> playing full blown HD 1080p with mplayer (smooth playback).
>
> Anyone using the PS3 as a FE to myth?
> How's the menu navigation?
> How's live TV playback (SD and HD)?

I installed Gentoo on my PS3 a couple of months ago to see how things
would go.  It got me to a 1080P desktop just fine, and I could get very
stuttery SD video out of Myth with no audio (via HDMI.)

I have confidence that it will get there, but it certainly wasn't there
when I tried it out (I think it was Feb/March.)

Currently I'm still on 0.20 because there's no full XBox 0.21 frontend
(incl plugins) and I don't have time to fiddle with it right now.  Once I
get a replacement for my xbox frontend, I'll try the PS3 again with 0.21
and report back on how it goes.

Greg