[mythtv-users] HD-PVR component video

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Fri Jun 6 19:13:57 UTC 2008

On Thu, Jun 5, 2008 at 1:20 PM, David Brodbeck <gull at gull.us> wrote:
> Andrew Close wrote:
>> On Wed, Jun 4, 2008 at 12:56 PM, Brad DerManouelian
>>> Then you call and tell them your TV only has component inputs and
>>> demand a box that you can use with your TV. They have to comply.
>>
>> just like they have to comply with a working IEEE1394 port ;)
>>

> The difference is hardly anyone has a TV with a working IEEE1394 port,
> so disabling those doesn't cause problems for "normal" customers.  This
> is definitely not the case for component outputs.
>
> I suppose downscaling to 720 is possible, but the set-top boxes would
> have to support it, and I don't know if they do.  I'm also not sure it

All the HD cable boxes are capable of converting resolution. The
Motorola's force it, the SciAtl have it as a defeatable option.

> would be that big a deal; with the screen sizes and living room
> furniture arrangements most people have, there's little visible
> difference between 1080 and 720.

*most*... there are those that have TV's larger than 50" (sadly, I'm
not in that camp, I still only have a 50", but I have a few friends
that are). Did they ever make any 1080i/p HDTV's larger than 50"
without HDMI/DVI?

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!