[mythtv-users] Linux software raid question

kim Gross kgross at jensalt.com
Fri Jun 6 18:37:25 UTC 2008

Johnny Russ wrote:
> I have a similar software raid question. I didn't think it warranted a
> new thread. I got some new drives and I am going to switch my mythtv
> system over to software raid. I would like to do it without doing a
> clean install. I have a backup drive with enough space to hold
> everything from my current system. Would it be best to make a dd image
> or use rsync to copy my current system onto a backup drive? Are there
> any special settings I need to use to make sure everything copied and
> restored properly? Then I can repartition my drives and set them up in
> a raid array. Then copy my stuff back onto the new raid array. I know
> I will need to edit /etc/fstab to make sure everything is getting
> mounted in the right spots. Are there other things that need to be
> attended to when transfering a complete system over to software raid
> like this?
What data are you moving?  Is it just recordings or system or what?  If
it is just recordings/data rsync or even just a GUI copy and past would
work.

If you are trying to move your boot system to raid, it is a lot more
work and from my experience I would not try to move it just put your
data on the raid.

Kim