[mythtv-users] Linux software raid question

Johnny Russ jruss at mit.edu
Fri Jun 6 17:17:36 UTC 2008

I have a similar software raid question. I didn't think it warranted a new
thread. I got some new drives and I am going to switch my mythtv system over
to software raid. I would like to do it without doing a clean install. I
have a backup drive with enough space to hold everything from my current
system. Would it be best to make a dd image or use rsync to copy my current
system onto a backup drive? Are there any special settings I need to use to
make sure everything copied and restored properly? Then I can repartition my
drives and set them up in a raid array. Then copy my stuff back onto the new
raid array. I know I will need to edit /etc/fstab to make sure everything is
getting mounted in the right spots. Are there other things that need to be
attended to when transfering a complete system over to software raid like
this?